India’s defense exports hit record Rs 13,000 crore, 70% from private sector | India News

0
NEW DELHI: Indian exports of arms and defense technologies hit a record high of Rs 13,000 crore in the 2021-22 financial year, with a 70% contribution coming from the private sector and the remaining 30% from the public sector.
The defense exportswhich saw a substantial increase over the previous fiscal year, were mainly destined for the United States, the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries, West Asia and Africa.
“In 2021-2022, we recorded Rs 13,000 crore in exports, which is the highest number ever recorded in the field of defence,” the Additional Secretary (Defence Production) said. Sanjay Jaju said Friday.

A major export deal signed in January this year was the $375 million (Rs 2,770 crore) contract to export BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles to the Philippines, which will pave the way for further deals in this type with the country as well as with other ASEAN countries like Indonesia and Vietnam, as reported earlier by TOI.

Arms exports in 2021-22 were almost eight times higher than they were around five years ago. India’s defense exports amounted to Rs 8,434 crore in 2020-21, Rs 9,115 crore in 2019-20 and Rs 2,059 crore in 2015-16.
Defense Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday will award one private sector organization and one public sector organization that have achieved the best defense exports at the first-ever ‘Artificial Intelligence in Defense’ Symposium and Exhibition.

Defense Secretary Ajay Kumar said 75 newly developed AI products and technologies with defense applications will be launched at the event. The products are in the fields of automation/unmanned/robotic systems, cyber security, human behavior analysis, intelligent surveillance system, logistics and supply chain management, speech/voice analysis and C4ISR (command, control, communication, computing and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance systems). Along with the 75 products being launched, another 100 are in various stages of development, he said.

Share.

Comments are closed.