Beverly Hills hires two private security firms after attempted theft – CBS Los Angeles

0


BEVERLY HILLS (CBSLA) —Beverly Hills has hired two private security firms to step up patrols after high-end store robberies became a new viral trend.

“Our city takes it seriously, we invest money in it,” said Todd Johnson, president and CEO of the Beverly Hills Chamber of Commerce.

READ MORE: COVID: LA County Health Encourages Small Gatherings

Late Saturday night, thieves attempted to break into Louis Vuitton and Saks Fifth Avenue stores off Rodeo Drive, smashing windows with slaps, but were unable to enter the store because of thick protective glass. Louis Vuitton’s window has since been repaired.

The trend of armed robberies in high-end retail stores has become a new trend in the state. Over the weekend, police said 80 people ransacked a Walnut Creek Nordstrom while others robbed Fendi, Burberry and YSL stores in San Francisco. According to the National Retail Federation, there has been a 57% increase in organized retail crime since last year.

READ MORE: Authorities Identify Suspected 14-Year-Old Girl Killed in NoHo Shooting Thursday

“It frustrates me that people work so hard for their money and people have no appreciation or morals for anything these days,” said tourist Ashley Dearcos.

In the wake of the recent wave of attempted thefts, police have increased their patrols, putting officers on duty for 12 hours and hoping to use the more than 2,000 security cameras that keep watch over the city. Private security teams hired by the city, totaling around 80 armed guards, have stepped up patrols in the area. Private security companies have been supplementing the police force since the summer of 2020.

NO MORE NEWS: Authorities investigate fatal two-car crash in Wilmington

“We are confident that we will continue to protect as much as we can and that we will be ready for it to the best of our ability,” Johnson said.


Share.

Comments are closed.